This Week’s Technique – Latkes
Hanukkah starts tonight so I thought latke techniques were in order.
A crispy latke which was stolen before I got a better picture. Homemade applesauce and sour cream are traditional accompaniments
Here are some helpful hints to making wonderfully crispy delicious latkes.
1. Grate or chop your onion first. The acids in the onions keep the potatoes from turning brown as fast.
2. Grate or shred the potatoes. By hand or machine. It doesn’t matter which. Do not chop, only shred in the food processor.
Twist the onions and potatoes dry in a tea towel
Drain off the liquid, saving the starch. Add the starch back into the potatoes
3. Drain the liquid from the potatoes and onions. I squeeze them dry in a tea towel, let the liquid settle and drain it off, leaving the starch in the bowl to mix in.
4. Use matzo meal and eggs as binders
5. Secret ingredient – Jane’s Crazy Mixed up Salt
Don’t make them too thick. Need to add more oil to the pan.
Stay tuned for the next exciting episode.
SOME RECIPES THAT USE THIS TECHNIQUE: